Friday, March 25, 2011

Four Things to Know about Most Temptations

1. They are Possible

The strongest pull away from obedience and holiness comes not from the fleeting thoughts of impossible grandeur; they come from the action that is close at hand and far removed from God's will. 

 

2. They are Desirable

Let's face it - not much temptation to steal a boa constrictor to wrestle it.  I am tempted by what appeals to the senses.  Eve wouldn't have taken a bite if the Serpent was holding elephant dung.     

 

3. They are Strategic

Timing is huge in growth and in sin.  The enemy of my soul knows how to bring the wrong things at the right time.  And, he also knows how to make the right things look like the wrong time.  I am tempted to do what shouldn't be done and to leave undone what is required.  The tempter is aware of my moods and patterns.

 

4. They are Optional 

This would be a wonderful truth for followers of Christ to embrace.  "I don't have to!"  I don't have to disobey God.  I don't have to compromise my thought life.  I don't have to dwell on what is sin.  I don't have to repeat what I have confessed.

However you define temptation, whatever it looks like in your life, whenever it slithers into your soul, remember this descriptor - IT'S OPTIONAL.

 

Choosing Obedience,

Pastor Dave

 

No comments: