Friday, March 18, 2011

Digging

I went for an ice free walk around the block this morning.  The dog and I enjoy non-winter outdoor exercise.

 

I saw something that I find myself thinking through.  A man breaking apart a huge pile of snow in his front yard.

 

I know that's not a big deal - but, he's the one who made it.  Through the winter he shovels his driveway and part of his yard into a large pile.  Through much of the winter you can see his lawn because he clears it off (I think he does it for his dogs).  The result is there is a huge pile of snow in the middle of his front yard.

 

This morning he went to his front yard with a shovel and broke up the pile scattering it around so that the sun and warmth could do it's job.  I watched him aggressively dig and throw repeatedly as I walked by.

 

I thought about how many times we build our own piles - worry, regret, and even sin.  I pictured the mountain of bad choices and bad attitudes that we accumulate on the front yard of our souls.  I imagined coming to grips with the fact that the Son and I working together could tear down what I have built.

 

Spring is a good time to allow the Son to melt what doesn't belong.  Today is a good day to determine that the pile should be torn down.  There is growth that is waiting to happen.  There is life that is ready to bring color.  There is value that has been covered.

 

Let the warmth of God's Spirit motivate you to use your empowerment to scatter a pile.

 

Digging,

 

Pastor Dave

 

No comments: