Friday, March 11, 2011

List

The list of things that are going to happen.

 

1. Setting the clocks ahead one hour.  Saturday night we "spring ahead" one hour.  It's kind of interesting - statistically this week is one of the lowest church attendance Sundays of the year.  Loosing a hour of sleep when you're already tired is a hard thing.

 

2. Spring.  There continues to be a rumor that Spring will come and the snow will melt.  Ah, remember the 70's of summer?

 

3.  The new Ministry Center will be complete.  We are working on getting the downstairs finished up.  It feels like we've been at this for a very long time.  I'm told that in "construction months" it's really not that long.  I was unaware that contractors, city inspectors, and builders all live on different calendars than the rest of us do.

 

4. Easter.  We will soon celebrate the risen Christ.  Easter is about who Christ is and who we are in Him.  This is a great season to draw nearer to Him and live the victory He has won.

 

5. Christ will return.

 

Note:  These points are not necessarily in order of occurrence.  Number 5 could be deposited at any point in our list of things that are going to happen.  And the moment number 5 happens all points and events that were to take place become null and void.

 

I prepare for number 1 by changing the clocks in my home and car.

 

I prepare for number 2 by putting away my snowblower and starting my lawnmower.

 

I prepare for number 3 by thinking through the details and changing ministry structure.

 

I prepare for number 4 by buying Cadbury eggs and getting my suit cleaned.

 

I prepare for number 5 by....

 

Now that I think about it - I've put entirely too much energy in preparing for things that will be a blip on the calendar.  The great thing is I am ready for number 5 as I do numbers 1-4 in faith and obedience to the One who is returning.

 

I will change my clocks, get my lawnmower ready, plan for change, and celebrate the risen Christ, all while being the Christ-following husband, father, grandfather, pastor, son, employee, friend, servant that I am called to be.

 

How do you get ready for number 5?  Are you ready for number 5?

 

Ready,

 

Pastor Dave

 

No comments: