Friday, February 4, 2011

Last Night

Last evening I spent most the night in quiet.  I wasn't feeling super, but a headache wasn't the main reason I wanted to be in solitude.  I needed to talk with God.  No TV.  No conversations. No games. No work. No facebook. Just time with God.

 

Last night I talked to God about you.  You who are hurting.  You who are ignoring.  You who are stuck.  You who are growing.  You who are saying, "yes." You who are aimless.  You who are fruitless.  You who are touching new levels intimacy with God.  Last night I talked to God about you.

 

Last night I talked to God about our world.  There is tension building.  The battle that has been for pundits and academics is becoming a battle for soccer moms and office parties.  We may not be aware of how many Biblical events are on the radar of life.  The reason we are not aware is that we are largely busy buying groceries and driving from activity to activity.  The Kingdom of God is still God's.  Our role is to be ready.

 

Last night I talked to God about our church.  He reminded me that we are still His.  The gathering of people that make up our faith family are placed in this community for a reason.  That reason has little to do with ourselves.  Growing people reach people to help them find Christ so that they can be growing people too.

 

Last night I talked to God about me.  It was the most painful part of the dialog.  Giving yourself to God again and again and again.... is not easy.  I had to place questions at His feet and hear the silence of no answer.  I had to make commitments that were embarrassing (because they have been made before).  I had to find the place of passion again.  I had to find the place where I remind myself that I love God with all that I am and will follow Him no matter what.

 

Last night God and I talked.  No big agenda, just time with my God.

 

Today is busy.  This morning He told me it was good to spend time together.  I asked Him to come to the office with me.  He did.

 

Tonight I'm going to...

 

Dave

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This message really spoke to us. As a young married couple we are trying to find the balance between living a meaningful life in our marriage/day- to- day and fulfilling God's Kingdom Calling for each of us. Busyness of the day to day living can many times drown out the noise of knowing what God's Kingdom reveals on the "end times" encroaching. We are seeing earthquakes in random places, floods, famines- War. . . . Its a scary world! The challenge for us in life at this time, is the tension between physical reality and spiritual reality. Is it possible for the "Rat Race of the American Dream" and the Kingdom of God/ His calling for us to co-exist? if so how does this look? We want to live our lives in a way that when we stand before God he says, "Well done good and faithful servants." Is living a good christian life in the day -to- day enough to fulfill God's Kingdom calling? It is a struggle to keep the "big picture" of our lives at the forefront of living. Thank you Pastor Dave for talking with God about the condition of this scary world .... and us.