Friday, July 10, 2009

I asked. He pointed. I learned.

This week I asked Jesus a question.  It's one that I have asked him before – you probably have too.  He answered my question without saying a word.  He just pointed.  
 
He didn't point to all the work that went into a Vacation Bible School, all the sets (that were great), crafts (that were very cool), games (that looked like they were a blast).  He didn't point to the high attendance each night (which was a blessing), or the snacks that were provided (I heard they were both fun and good).  He didn't make sure I looked at the gigantic number of volunteers it took to pull this week off (each of which I am proud of and very grateful, Scott and Emma had a super team!)
 
I asked him my question again and he pointed to the child that hurried to catch up to a team leader so he could hold his team leader's hand as they walked from one station to the next.
 
He pointed to worship that was with abandon and sincere energy.
 
He pointed to open ears that eagerly drank in the message of the Bible that was given in various forms.
 
He pointed to children who didn't complain when things weren't as planned or on schedule.
 
He pointed to adults and young adults not expecting children to act like them – but taking the role of living the energy and enthusiasm of a child.
 
He pointed to laugher over the silly things, because it's fun to laugh.
 
He pointed to celebration when children placed their faith in Him.
 
He pointed to building friendships and people overlooking differences.
 
He pointed to freedom wrapped inside a little body that was sometimes clumsy, a little rowdy, and overflowing with potential.
 
I asked Jesus again what he meant when he said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Matthew 19:14)

I asked him what he meant when he said, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me." (Mark 9:37)

I asked him what he meant when he said, "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." (Luke 18:17)

I asked.  He pointed.  I learned.
 
Proud of the Church I Attend, the Servanthood I've Seen, and the Savior I Serve –
 
Pastor Dave
 

1 comment:

PaulKlor said...

Nice one Dave.... it gives me good perspective going into Our VBS coming up this next week. I love it when a child laughs with that deep belly laugh, something pure about it. BTW, if you havn't seen it go to your local Christian book store and find The Apostles of Comedy... It's clean fun.