Friday, July 31, 2009

Growth

There is a small tree in our backyard that has grown little, if any, in the past ten years.  It lives a perpetual state of eclipse because of the bigger trees that surround it.

 

If a child doesn't grow, parents take that child to the doctor to find out what's wrong.

 

When someone opens a business they do so counting on the fact that demand will cause growth.

 

Investors that can't bring growth are soon left with the sting of inflation shrinking an asset quicker than interest can add to it.

 

Matthew chapter 25 tells the story (parable) of an owner that entrusted "talents" with some employees with the assumed task of growing them.  If you remember the story two people did grow what was given to them and one didn't.  The one who didn't was toast!

 

Growth was the expectation.  If you read the text the point of the story was that the "kingdom of heaven" would come at a time that would not be announced in advance – so, be ready.  It's not about money, it's about the expectation of God for his people.

 

Readiness was the expectation and growth was the expectation. 

 

A tree that isn't growing is an oversized weed.  A child that doesn't grow is a medical dilemma.  A business that doesn't grow is an unbearable weight.  An investment that doesn't grow is a liability.  A Christian that doesn't grow is a….

 

God has wired things so that they would grow - including our souls.  Stagnation is as dangerous to the Christian as lack of sun is to a tree.  The problem is the tree can't move - we can.

 

"Lord, how do you want to grow me?  Are you growing me through situations that require more faith, people that require more patience, or insights into your nature that require more application.  Lord, how do you want to grow me?    

 

Here's the thing Lord, I've been stuck for a while and need a time of growing up in you.  My maturity is frozen.  My worship is predicable.  My prayer is cold.  My journey is murky. 

 

So Lord, either help me cut down the trees that are in the way or uproot me and replant me.  May I know the invigorating rays of the Son until the cells in my spirit are bursting with nutrients.  May my roots grow deep enough to weather any storm and my branches reach high enough applaud You with all that I am."

 

Growth is an expectation.

 

Not Satisfied with Staying the Same,

Pastor Dave

 

2 comments:

Nolan said...

Hey Pastor Dave,
It just crossed my mind in church this morning to start reading your blog. Sorry I haven't read it sooner. Just wanted to let you know I am reading your blog.
Thanks

compusec said...

I remember you threw this question in one of your past sermons: "Lord, how do you want to grow me?"
I thought about that question for several days. I think that sometimes we might be fearful to ask that question because we are not ready to accept the ways in which our father decides to grow us.
I would really love to have that unfailing faith that helps me to accept what our father's will is. And I think that perhaps I am a little bit ready to "accept" his will on me, but I do not feel strong enough to accept his will upon my kids who are his kids. Deep in my mind I know our father loves them more than I do, and that he will do anything in his power to protect them. I want to feel confident that our father will be there when my kids need him (always).
Last week I had confirmed that one of my kids has permanent hearing loss in one ear. I still do not get used to that idea. I confess that I am still broken and my blind faith is kind of weak, because I fear that my kid could lose hearing in his only healthy ear too. The thought of permanent silence scares me, and then I sit down and think if this is the way they Lord is not only growing my son but our family. I bet that no parent wishes to see their kids growing in such way. But who am I to decide how my kids should grow “in spirit?” As humans, we take for granted how important it is the proper functioning of our body in our earthly life. I enjoy being able to hear the singing of the birds, the sound of the wind, the voice of my kids, etc. I would love for my son to continue to hear my voice and all the things I could hear. But then in the back of my mind a little voice tells me: “You do not need your physical ears to hear the word of your father. You do not need your physical eyes to see how great your God is.”
So I try to hang on the thought that our father is perfect, hoping, begging, and praying that our father is at work and that he is growing our family. I am honest. I am hoping for a big miracle to happen. Only my father, our father, can provide our son with a healthy spiritual ear. Our father is growing us.

Thank you for your thoughtful sermons.