Thursday, July 23, 2009

Singing in the Rain

This has been Family camp week.  Right now it's Thursday afternoon and I sit in the camper listening to the rain hit the camper… again.  Normally I would take this opportunity to complain and talk about legislation that would make camping illegal.  Normally I would dream of being in the room of a Holiday Inn sitting in a hot tub, or on my couch at home thinking about doing some of the Wii Fit exercises while I ate popcorn.  But, I'm not feeling normal.

So, rather than complain I'd like to share with you how blessed I am.

My wife is my hero and my favorite person on earth.  I'm proud of my kids and how God is growing them.  My daughter-in-law is a great wife for my son and a great mom for our active and adorable grandkids. I minister in a growing church that I am proud to call my family.  We have a ministry staff that I respect and trust as coworkers and friends.  I have parents that I am proud of and thankful for the heritage they provide. I live in a city that I like.  My car starts.  I'm in a camper not a tent listening to the rain.  Ya, I've got a lot to be thankful for.

Even more than all that – I am loved by God.

Sometimes I get too busy to remember and return God's love, but it is there for me.  The Psalmist in the 35th Psalm is proclaiming his need for God's protection from his enemies.  Toward the beginning he tells God what he needs to hear from him.  He needs God's protection, but he also needs God's voice.  What did he want to hear?
"Say to my Soul, 'I am your salvation.'"

He just needed God to say, "I'm here and I'll rescue you," I can hear that better when I'm not complaining.  I can hear God proclaim who He is and what He is doing when He doesn't have to speak over whining.  

I am most thankful that God would sit with me in a camper with rain attacking the outside and whisper in the ear of my soul, "I am your salvation."

Then I can whisper back to Him, "thank-you."

"Singing in the Rain,"

Pastor Dave

No comments: