Friday, June 26, 2009

Thinking...

I have watched, with many, the coverage on the news of the death of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson.  Many people are mourning the passing of someone they never knew personally and yet impacted their world.
 
Today I am thinking about the millions of girls that hate themselves because they don't view themselves as "beautiful," today I think of the millions of young people who dream of little else than being rich and famous.
 
I never dated Farrah (in high school I claimed I did… but I really didn't.  She asked me once but I was too busy [lie]) and I never worked on a project with Michael, but I don't honor them as icons of looks and fame.  Talent, generosity, beauty, personality, achievements and money will not change either of their eternal destinies. 
 
Today my heart breaks because we Christians get caught in the waves of someone else's popularity and find ourselves trapped in hype and clichés.  I wonder if it would be a good time to think not about the music or the appearance, but the soul.  Both of them have one thing in common with you and I – we will stand in the same spot before God.  Today I think about what is eternal.   
 
In my spirit I found myself standing with a crowd of people.  We all were human enough to get envious of each other and normal enough to idolize what doesn't last.  Jesus walked in the center of the group and asked us two questions we could not answer.  He asked us, "What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?  Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul (Mark 8:36-37)?  
 
Thankful for Today, Trusting In Forever,
 
Pastor Dave

No comments: