Friday, June 5, 2009

7 Words

Right now I am sitting behind piles of about 15 commentaries and books I'm studying for the message on Sunday.  It started earlier this week with a word from the New Testament that I wanted to go deeper with - those are the books on the bottom of the piles. 

I have gone down a few "rabbit trails" that were kind of fun, but no real fruit was found.  I've read about the same passages from different authors and commentators, I learned stuff, but no real sense of "striking gold."

The study process is one that I enjoy and receive energy from.  But, as I reflect on the literary piles, the lessons learned, the historical and linguistic lessons, and the theology that is there… ya, not quite enough.

I find myself still thinking over that phrase from the Word of God that started all of the digging.  No author or theologian and no commentator or Greek scholar can touch the power of the Holy Spirit taking 7 familiar words and tilling up the soil of my soul and planting those 7 words in my own spirit.

Bruce, Bauer, Carson, Hendrickson, Earle, Michaels, Robertson, Barclay, Brown, and the Dictionary of New Testament Theology have been asked to find their chair in the classroom of my soul.  They have said what they needed to say and what they were equipped to say, they have done the study and shared the wisdom, I have listened and looked at their investment, but they have been asked to take a seat a again. The Teacher, the Author of the words, the Word, the Counselor, the Lover of our souls, the Greatest Theologian, and the Eternal 'I Am,'  has taken his place at the head of the class and it is our role to sit and listen.  I wanted a chair in the front row.

As always the Spirit of God has better insight to the Word of God then the followers of God.  Tools about the Teacher can never take the place of submission to the Teacher!

Do you ever try to impress God with what you have learned about Him?  Do you ever take a pass from obedience because you think you don't "know" enough?  Both questions should have a "no" answer to them.  

All our efforts at being "good," all our attempts at being "right," all our shots at being "religious" fall to the floor when the Spirit of God is given the podium of our life. 

So, I'm listening to the Spirit about the 7 words and using the tools to support what He says.  May I challenge you to do the same with your life sermon?  Use the tools and listen to The Author (by the way we are quite adept at switching that around).

If you use what is human and listen to Who isn't it'll be "the best summer ever!"

Excited About 7 Words,

Pastor Dave

p.s. If you don't attend our church or won't be here Sunday check out the podcast to find out what the 7 words are.

No comments: