Friday, April 20, 2012

spectatorism

Last week I read that one of the former executive chairman of Google claimed that today more content is created in forty-eight hours than was produced from the beginning of history to 2003 (Len Sweet, Viral).

 

The web world has made it so anyone with a decent cell phone has volumes of information about Athanasius, Menno Simmons, and Karl Barth.  It's easy to find out about people who influenced Christianity.

 

We can read about some of the core theological doctrines that have sparked debate from the foundation of the church.  Today anyone with a connection to the web has more content about humanity, God, faith, and life than ever before.

 

Here's my concern for young and old in the age of limitless information at our fingertips- it's still human nature to not allow transformation.

 

Every generation has had a hard time with "spectatorism."  Insight without fruitful activity.  We learn to be active enough to have an opinion and… that's all. 

 

Now, imagine that infecting the church and followers of Christ.  I respond to the death of Christ the same way I do the death of Dick Clark - information and opinion.  I understand who God is the same way I understand who a presidential candidate is - information and opinion.  I surrender to the Holy Spirit the same way I surrender to my favorite social media - information and opinion.

 

I am not anti-technology; I believe it is a tool that could be used to touch the world with faith (as well as it being a trap that would drown a person in sewage).  

But, isn't habitual "spectatorism" in the church hypocrisy?  

 

Philippians 3.16 Only let us live up to what we have already attained.  Paul's call to the church was to live what you know and keep learning more.  The problem has never been the information or the medium that information is transferred through - the problem has always been getting us to live it well. 

 

This morning my thoughts are questions - Am I overreacting?  Where does grace fit in this?  How do I know when I'm stuck in "spectatorism?"  What should be done?

 

Questioning,

 

Pastor Dave


No comments: