Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

What's so "good" about it?  That was the question I saw online from someone who didn't understand the designation of Good Friday.

To be honest - it's a fair question.

There are many who feel this day used to be called "God's Friday."  What we say when we part ways with someone, "good-bye," is a shortening of what used to be "God be with you."  Maybe that happened over time with this day.

It could rightly be called God's Friday; it's the day that he offered his sacrifice for the sins of the world.  This was a day justice wasn't just and God's plan brought pain to the heavens and earth.

Some thoughts:

It was a good close.  The system of sacrificial offerings of animals for fellowship with God was ended.  The final offering was final because it was Perfect and fully accomplished what all others couldn't.

It was a good starting point.  From the cross, a new starting point of sacrifices was established.  Now human life is offered in a complete way through faith in the One who was the sacrifice for us.  We can identify and participate in the new way opened to us by the cross.

It was a good offering.  The sinless Lamb offered for us all was also the mighty Warrior that took the attacks of hell on himself. The Son of God became the deposit place for the sin of the world because he was the only One who was good enough to receive it.

It was a good foundation.  Paul said, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

This is a good Friday.  I've had good days.  I've eaten good meals.  I've enjoyed good laughs.  This "good" is deeper.  This is the kind of good that changes the world and those who inhabit it.  This is the kind of good that can't be replaced or improved on.  This is the kind of good that would divide eternity and transform humanity.  This is the kind of good that I can't live without.

Today is a serious look at the price of salvation and the call of Christ.  This Friday is Good.  Only God could take cruelty, blood, death, and mourning and use it for the good of us all.

Living Because of Good Friday,

Pastor Dave


No comments: