Friday, May 6, 2011

It’s time for humility


I'm treading boldly and carefully as I write this.

 

This week the completion of a military mission resulted in the death of Osama bin Laden.  I felt the pride that many felt at the extreme price our military pays to complete missions with expertise.  We owe much to those who are underpaid and overworked yet serve our nation at the risk of their lives.

 

My pastoral opinion is not addressing issues of justice or revenge.  I will not take a side on "torture" in this writing.  I will not second guess the actions or results of things of which I have such limited insight.

 

My issue - This week I really felt we revealed an ugly side of our nation.  From the New York headline that read, "Rot in Hell" to the speech the President gave in which he said, "America can do whatever we set our mind to."

 

I miss humility.  I felt as if we were celebrating by toasting with a cup of poison.  Humility doesn't avoid victory, it experiences it with an awareness of how fragile victory is.  Humility would be aware of how limited our success really is.

 

Maybe we haven't had it for a long time.  Maybe I long for what we haven't had.  Success that is celebrated in arrogance is cheapened.  It's that way with sports. I've felt it in the awards of stars. I've seen it in business.  And, most unfortunately, we've seen it in the church.  How we take loss says something about our character, as does how we respond to victory.

 

Here's the deal - the President ended his speech with "May God Bless America."  But can He?  We want to know God's blessing in our homes.  We want God to bless our church.  We want God's blessing.

 

But, God's blessing does not find itself resting where there is the absence of humility.

Personally, I have no problem with what was done.  I do not condemn the action, I am saddened by the attitude.

 

America can do whatever it sets its mind to.  Quit spending more than we have.  Quit politicizing every action.  Quit pushing faith into the arena of fable.  Quit pointing the finger at others.  Quit demanding God remain silent until  we claim His blessings.  Quit with the arrogance that has caused the downfall of so many cultures.

 

America can do humility.

 

The church must show them how.

 

Ezekiel 33.11 Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, O house of Israel?'

 

Please note - this verse does not find its most accurate application in the terrorist, its most accurate application is found in the life of the people of God.  The nation that called to God for blessing.

  

It's time for humility,

 

Pastor Dave

 

No comments: