Friday, May 20, 2011

It’s Friday


It's Friday.  Tomorrow is the return of Christ.  I know, because I read it on the internet.

 

I am tempted to quote Bible verses and enter the arena of debate with Harold Camping of Family Radio (note: not Family Life Radio of our area).  But, to be honest it's an arena I that have no interest, desire, or call to enter.

 

Harold says, Saturday at 6pm the Rapture of the church is to take place.  According to the Family Radio web-site, complete with a daily countdown, "the Bible guarantees it."

 

So I thought I'd share my plans for the day.  Today I am going to write out some of the bills and get them in the mail.  I am going to finish writing the sermon for Sunday.  I just finished a book, Rethink Your Life by Stan Toler, today I'll skim back through it and log some quotes.  Today I'll go for a walk.  I'll follow up on some phone calls that need to be finished.  Today I'll pray and read from the Psalms. I'm on Psam 24.

 

Today I'll hold my tongue and not be angry about a false prophet that makes a public mockery of Christ, His return, and the Word of God (like he did in 1994 the last time he said the Bible guaranteed the return of Christ).  Today I'll pray that God will do and continue to do real work in the midst of people who are distracted and mislead.  Today I'll live for Christ.

 

Tomorrow at 6 pm Leah and I will have dinner with some new friends and together we will pray about our future and the sermon for Sunday.  Tomorrow I will face the day without fear, excitement, or disdain because of a man's prediction.

 

The unique thing about the return of Christ is that we are to always be ready for what we can never predict.  We are to have faith in the One returning not the one mathematically determining when it will happen.  We are to live in awe of the mystery of God's kingdom not in arrogance of a claim to have a hidden insight.

 

"Hey Harold, you might be right, it might be tomorrow.  It might be today.  It might be Sunday.  The return of Christ might be when my great great grandchild has his 65th birthday."

 

"That's not the point."

 

"Be ready."

 

"That's the point."

 

 

Maranatha,

 

Pastor Dave

 

1 comment:

linguamecca said...

Thanks for putting it all in perspective, Pastor.