Friday, May 27, 2011

4 Thoughts for Friday

Thought #1.

About the time we think we are in control and have built a life that cannot be shaken a river and a tornado remind us of how vulnerable we are.  The elements are different, the result the same - devastation.

 

Thought #2.

I'm am constantly amazed how impossible it is to disagree in a civil way.  For some reason disagreement must include personal attacks.

 

Culture. If someone doesn't like the new "American Idol" they say, "they stink, they can't sing, - the whole thing is rigged."  Why can't I just say, "it wasn't my favorite" and move on?

 

Politics.  It's not enough to disagree and let content carry the argument.  There must be distortions and personal attacks.  Rather than engage in a discussion they shut down the opposing view.  The result is warfare between the political and non-political.  The political spend their time trying to convince the non-political that they are representing them while they make a career of discrediting each other.  Meanwhile the non-political ignore them and try to pay their bills.

 

Faith.  In my own life I have probably crossed lines with the recent end of the world predictions.  Rather than attack an 89 year old man I don't know why can't I just say, "I don't agree and would recommend you weigh carefully what is said?"  Why does disagreement have to include insult?

 

Thought #3

Saturday, the 28th of May, will be the 273rd anniversary of a key experience of Methodism.  It was on that day that John Wesley was at a meeting when he felt his heart "strangely warmed" because he realized that he did trust Christ and Christ alone for his salvation.  It was an event that personalized a faith that was institutionalized in his life.

 

What started a warming was kindled into a flame and became part of the fires of revival across England.  As I think about that 273 years later I wonder whose heart God is warming now?  Who is the person that will realize that they can't earn salvation?  Who is the person that will embrace victory over sin?  Who is the person who will answer the call to live a transformed life that is the beacon of unity for the body of Christ and the draw for those who don't know?

 

I wonder, who is God getting ready for a new move of His Spirit? (Note: see Isaiah 6:8)

 

Thought #4

"Jesus, thank-you for people who have given their lives for my freedom.  Today I remember them.  This weekend I am filled with gratitude for young people whose lives were cut short so that I could be free.  This weekend I think of families who are in need of the grace of Your presence because of an empty chair at the table.

 

Not all war is just.  Not all warriors have good motives.  But, somehow I can't help but think that we have learned from you that some things are worth giving your life for."

 

Freedom.

 

Have an Anointed Memorial Weekend,

 

Pastor Dave

No comments: