Friday, October 1, 2010

Summer Reflections

I suppose summer's over, it's time to start "thinking" again.  As I start this day I have some things on my mind that I've learned this summer.  What have you learned?
 
1. Some stuff is out of my control.
It's much easier and safer to not "beat your head" with a bat over things you can't control.  The Lord helped me to set aside my agenda and be ok with the fact that not everything runs the way I would like it to.
 
Too often life doesn't run in the grooves I've made for it.
 
2. Birthdays happen.
I'm not fond of getting a greater distance from thirty, yet the distance keeps growing.  The hair on my head is thinner and the hair on my chin is grayer.  While the world struggles to add years that have little meaning I'm learning to be sure that each one I have matters.
 
Too often I don't live on purpose.
 
3. The soul matters more.
My relationship with God is more important than my relationship with my doctor.  The end of the summer season included physical challenges that I would rather have skipped.  But I know what matters most.
 
Too often I care most about what isn't the most important.
 
4. I love my church.
I just like being here.  I like seeing people grow.  I like meeting new people.  I like hearing people sing.  I like hearing the pages turn when I say, "turn with me in your Bibles to...." I like being a MFMCer.
 
Too often I forget to thank God for the church I attend.
 
5. The call is crucial.
I heard from the Lord this summer about my call - what it is and what it isn't.  The Leadership Team and the Pastoral Staff are making adjustments so that we spend most of our time swimming in the ocean of God's call for us.
 
Too often I wade streams of business.
 
6. Relationships happen on purpose.
I've had some of the greatest times having dinner, playing games, drinking coffee - being with people.  It's our error when we are too busy to be with people and risk building relationships.
 
Too often I don't make time for fun.
 
7. God's good at making new starting lines.
Hint - Sunday we're looking at starting lines for individuals and our church.  Come ready to be blessed by God's grace.  Bring a friend who needs to start over.
I'm getting in position for a new season of the soul and a new season for our church.  I'm listening for the starting pistol to fire.  I'm ready to run the race.  It's been a good summer.  It's time to move on!
 
Pastor Dave
 

No comments: