Friday, October 8, 2010

In Awe

Last night I went to the hospital and held a newborn.
 
Beauty finds new meaning when it is wrapped tightly in a warm blanket.  Innocence is more obvious when life hasn't hardened a soul.  Dependance seems more healthy when an infant sleeps in your arms.
 
I found myself looking again to the eyes of a proud (albeit exhausted) mom and dad.  They had waited for this moment.  Holding their newborn daughter and standing next to my not-newborn daughter made me think of all the "moments" that are in front of them.
 
Perhaps it's not theological enough, maybe I'm not in the mood for depth right now, it's possible I'm more sentimental than I am dignified - but have a picture in my mind that won't go away.  My Father God finds beauty in his creation.  He looks close as the Creator - "they have my soul in them.  Sometimes it hard to see, but I can see Myself in them.  Man, I'm proud!"
 
If your view of God doesn't include a God that loves you enough to wrap you in a blanket of grace and dote on you, you don't know God's heart.  My heavenly Father provides innocence.  Through the sacrifice of His only Son, Jesus,  God is able to look at me and hold me tightly enough so that I can't mistake His affection.  He is able focus on the innocence his grace provides, while I demand to look at what He has had to forgive.  He sees me as He made me, too often I see me as what I made me.
 
My provider God knows how dependent I am on Him even when I don't.  He knows when it's time for solid food or the milk of His Spirit to grow me to solid food.  He knows when I can walk and when I need to be carried.  He knows how to teach me to talk and how I will fall short if others fill the role of my provider.
 
He's my Father God.
 
The scene in heaven may have played out like this -

God: "Hey, look at that!  See that baby in David's arms.  I created them both, they are my creations and I can see myself in them.  Look closer.  Do you see the innocence of the souls?  Look at what grace does!  Can you smell the fragrance of dependance from that room - both of them are completely helpless without a provider.  That's me!  I'm their provider.  Quick!  Take a picture!  Two of mine.  I made them both.  I did a great job."
 
Angel: "Wow."
 
Last night I held God's creation in my arms.  God held two.
 
In Awe,
Pastor Dave
 

No comments: