Friday, October 29, 2010

Lukewarm

There's not a market for luke-warm coffee.
 
Gas stations, coffee shops, and fast food restaurants heat their coffee to 1.38 degrees below lava and people seem to be ok with that.  They also have iced coffee.  Coffee with ice cubes on purpose!
 
It's interesting that we're o.k. with the extremes but the in-between (for most people) is... yucky.  I sit at my desk this morning with a mongo-sized-multi-bathroom-trip  thermal coffee cup that is now effectively holding my coffee at that swampy fuel oil temperature.  I thought about warming it up but that would involve a walk.  Drinking it like it is only involves a scrunched up face to swallow the sludge taste.
The words of the Angel of the Lord to the church Laodicea in Revelation 3:15&16 come to mind, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot.  I wish that you were either one of the other! So, because you are luke warm... I am about to spit your out of my mouth."
 
Nearby Laodicea was Hierapolis, known for its hot springs that were medicinal and healing.  Also near by were the pure mountain cold waters of Colossea providing refreshing nourishment for the weary.  Laodica is being called to task for its works ("deeds") not its spiritual temperature.  I don't think God would want anyone to be "cold" in their spirit.  The believers are being warned about being indifferent and ineffective in their actions.
 
Not being a place for healing and refreshing is a dangerous place for a church to be.  Christianity needs to be about bringing wholeness and nourishment into the lives of the people who come in contact with us.  It's that stinky mediocricy that is of no value.  What mocks God is an attitude of, "I don't care" that shows up in actions of, "I don't care" even if our mouths say, "I'm a Christian."
 
What engages a Supernatural gag reflex is providing grace and power that remain unused while they're talked about as if they are being used.
 
"Lord, this Sunday may an exhausted traveler find the pure springs of your strength.  Lord, this Sunday may a wounded soul bathe in the healing springs of your love."
 
Walking My Coffee to the Microwave,
Pastor Dave

No comments: