Friday, October 9, 2009

Using the Right Tools

I have a freezer in the garage that is locked – and has no key.  The key used to be on the handle at the end of a chain.  The chain is there, the key is not.  It's good to know that what is in there is safe; I just don't remember what is in there. 

The freezer still works fine, I can hear it running.  I know that whatever is inside is frozen solid and not rotting.  I'm just not sure what it is that is frozen.

I really don't know how long the key has been missing because I don't remember the last time I put something in or took something out of the freezer.  For us the freezer in the garage is where we put things we probably won't use but don't want to spoil.  It's a way to ignore something without wasting it.

If worse comes to worse I do have two axes, a pry bar, a circular saw, some gasoline, and a match.  I know I can get inside (and would have fun doing so).  I'm just not sure those tools are what I should use.

Using the right tools at the right time would be a good way to go at this.  A cutting torch would work, but the key would work better and do less damage to the garage. 

Are we using the right and effective tools in our walk with God?

Are we using the right and effective tools in our marriage?

Are we using the right and effective tools in our witness?

Today I'm thinking about the tools God has given for growth and obedience.  I'm thinking about the many tools that are missing and as a result our walk with God is sometimes weak, our marriage and relationships are sometimes toxic, and our witness is sometimes ruined.

Before we destroy anything perhaps it would be wise to quit blaming, put the hacksaw away, and ask God to show us the keys to growth again.

FOR SALE:

Used freezer.  Half full of something.  Slight burn and dent marks on the door.

WANTED:

The wisdom to use the right tools with growth in God, unity in marriage, and consistency in witness.

 

Pastor Dave    

No comments: