Friday, October 16, 2009

Stages

Sometimes we read parts of the Bible and think, "Why's that there?"

I looked at a verse in Numbers that may have been moved into the "?" category. Numbers 33:1 starts the chapter by saying, " Here are the stages in the journey of the Israelites when they came out of Egypt…." What follows is the list of their travel itinerary. They left there and camped here, they left there and camped here, they left – you get the point. The KOA's of the Israelites are not words spiritual revivals are made of.

But, this morning I'm thinking about the "stages in the journey" of my spiritual growth, the growth of others in the church, and even the growth of the Midland Free Methodist Church as a whole.

I've grown. I can reflect back and see many stages, some of which make me grin, and some of which aren't logged in my memory pages with fondness. But they have all invested in who I am on this day. I'm thinking about the "stage" I am at right now and what God is calling me to right now. I have a new burden that has grown in my spirit that has changed some life patterns for me. I'm different than I was. I went from "there" to "here."

I know some people in our church could fill a book with outlining their stages. My mind is taking turns thinking of some who have been on journey with God for a long time and some who are just starting their journey. Both groups have a loving God who has protected them and brought them to a place where God became more than a distant Being to believe in that is in the cosmos somewhere to a personal and relational Lord. Some haven't crossed a line of faith yet, but the life stages are bringing them closer. Many of you have gone from "there" to "here."

We are at a new stage as a local church. We have been camped somewhere and God is calling us to pack up and move to a new depth in our ministry. Not because where we have been is wrong, but because there is an eternal destination we are headed to that requires we stay active and obedient. It's time to move on from "there" to "here".


As I pack my things for the journey, I am aware of a few points (please don't take the analogy to literal – I'm not packing for a personal move to another place and we're not moving the church building to the Florida Keys).

1. We must be on the move for spiritual growth. With each growth step we are being transformed into what God has designed for us to be. And with each step there should be a growing sense of anticipation. Spiritual growth requires active willingness. As a church we are willing to do whatever needs to be done to know we are camping in the center of God's will.

2. Spiritual growth will continue to result in numerical growth. That is never to be the focus or the motive, but if God is moving in my life there will be impact in my relationships. The Kingdom of God is to include numerical growth too. To say that is not spiritual is to accuse God of error. He wants more people to know Him and has chosen the people who already know Him to be the vehicles of that knowledge. If we're doing our job – the church should grow in numbers.

3. We need to plan for both spiritual growth and numerical growth. The first is always the primary and the second a reality of the first. Any kind of growth is not easy, but it is woven into the DNA of the Kingdom of God.


We're making plans. We're pushing some boundaries. We're hungry for what is right. Know this – planning for both kinds of growth will involve change (many people hate this), faith (many people hide from this), and participation (many people refuse this). Change + Faith + Participation = Growth. There's an equation you'll hear more about.


May this stage of the journey of our church be one that honors the previous stages, celebrates the current stages, and savors the leading of God to the next stage.


Thrilled to be Part of the MFMC Story,
Pastor Dave

No comments: