Friday, October 2, 2009

couldn’t care less

Have you ever used the phrase, "I couldn't care less?"  I have.  Sometimes I even put some flare to the words.  Not long ago we were watching a TV program and I got up to leave the room.  As I stood up to go I said something along the lines of, "I'm going to look for something that I care less about than this program."  The obvious application is that I cared so little for the program that my "I-care-o-meter" couldn't go any lower.

Some people feel that way about sports.  Who's in what place and who kicked or hit what really doesn't matter to them.  For others it's the news.  The fact that the polls say whatever they are saying doesn't even register to them.  Some even feel that way about God or His church.  To them the thoughts of God are equal to thoughts of Mary Poppin's left shoe.

This morning I was thinking about the things I really don't care about (which the simple fact that I was thinking about it means it would be possible for me to care less… now that I think about it that negates the previous two paragraphs).  It hit me that Jesus could say that about me.  "David Kessler, I couldn't care less about him."

Before you get angry and start writing me an e-mail.  Let me finish.

It's not possible for Jesus to care less for someone.  His care-o-meter registers high enough to die for and it's impossible for it to dip.  Sin doesn't cause Jesus to care less.  Doubt doesn't cause His meter to drop.  My past doesn't affect it in the least.  What someone else thinks of me doesn't cause His level of care to increase or decrease.  He can't care less - He just can't.  It's a nature thing.

The problem is we assume that His care about us and for us rises and falls like an outdoor thermometer level in a Michigan Fall. But it doesn't.  When Jesus says, "I couldn't care less," it's not because the care level has dropped to the bottom and it can go no lower.  It's because His love is perfect and part of His nature and it's not possible for my errors to change His nature (it would be a good idea to read the sentence again).  My failures don't reduce His love for me or His desire to continue to mold me into His image.

So, embrace the truth this weekend that Jesus couldn't care less about you and what you're going through right now – and that's a good thing!

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Cared For,

Pastor Dave

No comments: