Friday, January 2, 2009

2009 Fears

2009 Fears.

Pastors aren't supposed to be afraid. We have a direct line to God that renders all human emotions void… the negative ones anyway. It's one of the perks of being "super-spiritual." By the way, pastors are always happy and chipper too. Yep, no fear and always happy, makes you want to check out the profession doesn't it? Before you make any drastic moves, let me be honest with you this first Friday of 2009.

There are a few things I am afraid of –

1. I'm afraid there are a dozen hungry Ninjas living in my attic. When they get too hungry they are going to bust down the door, hit me repeatedly with nun chucks, kidnap my wife, take all my food, and steal my lawnmower.

2. I'm afraid people who have ADHD are all going to band together and take over the United States shipping the rest of us to a refugee camp in Iowa so they can rule the world.

3. I'm afraid some day they will discover that pie and pizza really aren't good for you.

4. I'm afraid one week someone will forward Friday Thoughts to my Bishop and he'll fire me and put non-removable duct tape on my hands and over my mouth.

5. I'm afraid the Bible is really true and we are really supposed to live like Christ.

6. I'm afraid we will have church 52 times in 2009 and not allow the God we worship to be the God we worship.

7. I'm afraid God has already blessed us according to our faith and He won't go beyond that until our faith in Him grows.

8. I'm afraid we'll settle for good enough, when it's not really anywhere near good enough.

9. I'm afraid that the best we can do for the culture is boycott or pass laws forcing them to agree with us. And if they don't we won't have anything to do with them.

10. I'm afraid of really crying out for a heavenly anointing because it won't fit in our expectations and if I was really what God wants me to be, if I said what we really need to hear, and if I lived what I'm really hungry for, too many people would get mad. I'm afraid people don't really want what God has for them. I'm afraid to not be in a growing church. I'm afraid 2009 and 2008 will be much of the same. I'm afraid that I'm most fearful about the wrong things, and I'm not fearful enough about squandering God's power.

So, I have fears. What are your fears for the New Year? Maybe if we are honest about them… Maybe if we prayed about them… Maybe if we…

Not Understanding What a Multi-Million Dollar Glass Ball In New York Has To Do With Anything, and Looking Forward to Us Being Touched By God This Sunday,

Pastor Dave

No comments: