Friday, September 5, 2008

May His Peace Invade Your Life Game

So, let me paint the picture for you.

It's later than I am normally at the church.  It's getting dark outside.  The light in my office is off.  A lamp on my desk is trying to provide enough light for me to see the keys, but its 40 watt contribution is doing little more than making a difference in its own corner.  I have the music on again - louder than what I would usually let it play (I like doing that when no one else is here).  I have to stop occasionally to listen to the words and let them spend a moment in my soul before I move on.

I'm working on Lee and Jessica's wedding.  The devotional is going to be from Colossians 3:12-15.  Great words – look them up.

But my mind and eyes have gone down a couple of verses.

3:15 "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts…"  

 
Ya…

Sounds good.  This is a peaceful room and calm setting, but I've got a list of peace suckers longer than Barbra Streisand's nose.  You know those things that make peace seem like a lost memory or forgotten joy.  Peace is often so fragile that it evaporates with a thought.

A good comedy on TV (becoming very rare) can cause me to forget all about what destroys peace.  But they last a half hour and have 37 bazillion commercials, most of which somehow remind me of what I was trying to forget.  Peace?

FYI - The word for "rule" in the original language means "to umpire or decide."
 
Try this out in your imagination – 

Jesus stands behind me as I step to the plate of life.  Satan has thrown a curve that I try to deal with but it gets the best of me.  Jesus stands and screams, "BALL – DOESN'T COUNT!"  I look to him and he whispers a word of peace into my life, "You don't need that one.  Let it go."

I smile at the encouragement and get ready for the next one. "BALL – DOESN'T COUNT!  NOT TRUE!"

The next one, "YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!  THAT WAS SUCH A BALL!  

The enemy wants to argue.  He says they should count.  They should be recorded in my soul and I should have to carry the weight of them.  He comes toward the plate and Jesus meets him half way there.  

No matter how big he is satan is always seven inches shorter than Jesus.  He looks up and tries to make his argument, spit flying out of his month and landing on Jesus' chest.

 Jesus is not intimidated, "YOU DON'T MAKE THE RULES - I DO.  MY PEACE RULES IN THIS LIFE.  KEEP THROWING IF YOU WANT, BUT I MAKE THE CALLS… I SAID 'IT DOESN'T COUNT.'" 

Satan tucks his tail between his legs and pouts his way back to the mound to keep wasting his time attempting to send me to the bench.

Jesus takes his place saying, "Don't worry I'm in charge of what counts, not him, and not you.  I reign, rule, umpire, decide.  Come on, you're still up."

 

The music keeps playing.  It's darker outside (dark churches give me the creeps).  I have just given Christ a number of things that tried to claim a position of authority in my life.  They are still there.  The situation still stinks.  There is still stuff that doesn't make sense.  

They still don't rule. 

May His Peace Invade Your Life Game.

There's a spot for you Sunday,
Pastor Dave

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire your wonderfully discriptive writing and I always like your Friday thoughts!
Thank you, Dave!
Rose Beckman

Peggy Johns Hoff said...

Cool medium - break down the walls! Congrats on the site~can't wait to hear how God uses it!
Peggy Hoff

Anonymous said...

wow --thank you for the "word picture" -- I NEED that so much because there are many things that I think rule my life too, but to know that the Peace of Christ rules instead??!!! I accept.
Sonja McCartney

Dianne Mollard said...

I love how you take the things of life and make such great applications. I need to identify the balls and not count them as strikes. Thanks for the reminder and practical tool. And I enjoy playing softball!!

Dianne Mollard