Friday, August 29, 2008

Jesus Never Said...

I was just thinking about some of the things Jesus never said.

"Close enough."

"It's not really a sin, it's just a__________"

"I quit."

"I can do that if I want, it's my money."

"I should do this!  Don't you want me to be happy?"

"I hate that person."

"Politics are the key part of the Kingdom of God."

"That's impossible."

"I can forgive most sins, but not yours."

"They're not really commands… they're more like strong recommendations."

"Only be part of the Body of Christ when you're not too busy."

I'm kind of captivated by what Jesus didn't say.  Reality is - for each of the above things He didn't say there is a direct opposite that He did communicate or live.

The sad thing is over the years I've heard stuff like the above list said by believers… at times I've said or thought some of them, or something close to it.  What does it say about our faith or walk with the Lord if we say or live what is contrary to who He is?

So, I'm thinking it would be a good study to look at what Jesus did say and why.  Here's a sample of what you'd find.

Matthew 4:10
Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"

Matthew 16:24
 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Mark 1:17
"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

Mark 2:17
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

Luke 7:48
Then Jesus said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."

Luke 8:50
Hearing this, Jesus said to Jairus, "Don't be afraid; just believe, and she will be healed."
Luke 12:22
Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear.

John 8:31
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.

John 11:25
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies;

John 20:21
Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you." 
 

What's your favorite "Jesus quote?"
 
Be Blessed this Labor Day Weekend,
Pastor Dave

 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to choose a favorite but two come to mind: "Come unto me all you who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest." and "Be ye therefore perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect." What a challenge!

Anonymous said...

My favorite is from Mark 5:34

"Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace, freed from your suffering"

Amen to that!

Unknown said...

My favorite is John 16:33

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Medical Procedure in India said...

That was a VERY interesting one! Seriously interesting.