Friday, August 22, 2008

5 Things I Love About You

About 10 years ago a movie came out titled "10 Things I Hate About You."

[Pastoral Caveat: I haven't seen it, am not recommending it, don't know who acted in it or their lifestyles, know nothing about the language or morality, and don't know the plot - the title is just interesting to me.]

So, if I were to sit in a heavenly drive-in and watch a movie God made (for some of you that's a stretch for your imagination that may feel like heresy) eating popcorn that's good for me, and candy that tastes like Snickers but has the nutritional value of broccoli, while drinking a gallon of soda that doesn't have sugar, NutraSweet, or Nansturfulictoudous2 in it – what would God's movie be?

How about "5 Things I Love About You."

1. God's movie would tell me that He loves the fact that I am needy.

Weakness that results in a need for a holy hand to hold me together is not a flaw - it's a blessing. Neediness is seen as a weakness to humans and a requirement for God. I didn't make me. I can't save me. I can't fix me.

"God, I'll admit it – I need you."

2. God's movie would tell me that He loves the fact I look familiar.

God has never seen a complete stranger. He has tattooed His own likeness on my spirit so he looks at something he recognizes. Granted, many of us have deformed God's intent to the point where he may have to squint to see his fingerprints, but they are there.

"God, thank-you for making me part of your family."

3. God's movie would tell me that he loves the fact that I have skinned knees.

While riding my non-motorized two wheeled pedal machine the other day I was watching a couple of boys try some stunts on their skateboards. The one I saw transplanted most of the skin from the boy's knees to the eager cement. Do you know what he did? The red kneed boy retrieved his four wheeled pain-accomplice and got on it to try again…

"God, thanks for not giving up on me because I have fallen."


4. God's movie would tell me that he loves the fact that I don't know everything.

In fact – I'm not supposed to. Growing knowledge of my world and my God are part of his design for me. God will never judge me for not knowing, but he'll never miss the opportunity to scold me for ignoring what I know (note: please don't tell my wife, my kids, or grandkids that I don't know everything).

"God, thanks for being the perfect teacher."

5. God's movie would tell me that he loves the fact that I've got reservations.

Jesus said he was going to prepare a home for me that was eternal (John 14:2). I've made reservations in that home. I did that through confession and repentance. I have welcomed God's offer of grace with all that I am. God has given me the confirmation number and I'm set… I'm in no hurry – but I'm ready.

"God, thanks for the future."


Applause.

Roll closing credits.

Play out takes.

Saving a Chair for you Sunday,
Pastor Dave

No comments: