Friday, September 19, 2008

Net Droppers

Let's assume that at our favorite coffee shop there was a list on the wall with 100 tips on how to be a Christ-follower.  We stood back from the wall and scanned the list in awe of how big it was.  Then a bluebird came in with a pool cue and a dart and said, "Throw the dart and do the tip."  Then he walked out (he couldn't fly he was carrying the pool cue of course).

So you and I stood back and I watched as you threw the dart to the wall of guidance.  I walked forward and read where your dart landed. 

Tip #63.

"Drop the nets."

We talked about if that meant to get rid of Vince Carter from your fantasy Basketball team (because he plays for the Nets).  But, that didn't make sense because you don't have a fantasy Basketball team.

We sat down at a table where the Bible was open to Mark 1:18.  Jesus walked by the fisherman and asked them to leave what they knew and follow what they didn't.  He asked them to let go of what was secure and embrace what was unexplainable.

We reached for an application.  "I need to quit my job and live in a hut in some village I can't pronounce."  We shake our heads together.

"I need to physically tie people up and drag them to church!  I won't untie them until they place faith in Christ.  When they do - I let them go and go get another one!"  

The people at the table next to us left and we decided that wasn't it either.

In a moment of inspiration you said, "What if it's really about leaving behind old priorities and embracing new ones?  What if the tip is really about the Christ more than the nets?  What if it's really impossible to be what you were and be made into what Christ has in mind for you?  Maybe I've held on to what I think I need all the while Christ is calling me to what He knows I need.  Maybe old attitudes and actions don't fit with a new life.  Maybe I need to drop yesterday so I can follow Christ today."

You and I sat in silence thinking about the dropping of nets as individuals and as a church.  We wondered about why we try and drag nets with us when they aren't needed.  We thought about having the stuff we're comfortable with be more important than the call of Christ.  We talked a little about full obedience to the voice of Christ.  Obedience that was immediate and unreserved.  We talked about how different we would be if we stopped insisting on traveling inland with our nets, and how the church would be more effective if they didn't have yesterday's nets.

It was a good conversation. 

We finished our coffee and left.  The guy at the coffee shop was kind of angry about all the nets we left on the table, but we didn't need them anymore.

"That was a good tip. See ya next week."

 Mark 1:17-18
"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

At once they left their nets and followed him.

                                                        Tip #63

Drop the nets

Fellow Net Dropper-

Pastor Dave

 

 



2 comments:

Peggy Johns Hoff said...

All that & great coffee, too? What time are your Friday sessions at BAB?

Anonymous said...

I think I saw some nets at the alter this past Sunday. I know I left mine. God Showed up! more accurately I got out of the way. I am the one who's light is shining just a little more. Bless those who were able to see.