Friday, September 12, 2008

Thinking...

I've been watching the radar images online of Ike as he heads to Texas. This is a huge storm that covers most of the Gulf of Mexico.

I had a nice breakfast this morning with someone from our Denominational Headquarters.

It's going to be a nice day. I love the 70's. Might rain.

I need to get the pressure checked on my tires. I think the last time I had an oil change they overfilled them.

It seems everyone has an opinion about Sarah Palin.

I hope I can fertilize our lawn tomorrow - the last time for this season.

Random thoughts from a distracted citizen.


The people of Galveston Texas don't have a lot of random thoughts right now. They are most likely quite focused on survival, evacuation, 20 foot surges, 100 mile an hour winds, and shelter.

It's amazing how distant reality can be from us if we're not in the path of destruction. I wonder what's for dinner in Michigan, while a pastor with no food sits in jail in China for teaching about Jesus, while a family in Haiti hopes tomorrow they can have some food, while a family in Texas leaves their food behind.

I think about rain messing up my plans for yard work while others think about how they don't have a yard or home anymore because of the rain.

The people in the path of the storms have something many of us don't. They can appreciate the next breath. You find out how fragile life is. You find out how quickly everything of "value" can become worthless. You find out what sustains life can't be bought on E-bay.

I'm thinking of two prayers today.

1. "Lord, through this turmoil in the Gulf empower Your people and Your churches to be an example of "living water." When hopelessness has swamped an area may believers somehow have countless opportunities to be the light of Christ. Let destruction be the seed bed of true revival."


2. "Lord, may that happen in my town without the destruction. May I be a person who isn't distracted from You by the mundane. May our church be passionate about accomplishing the mission of being Your people. Let my comfort be swallowed up with true revival."


Hope to see you Sunday.

Giving God Glory,
Pastor Dave

No comments: