Friday, February 7, 2014

Making Tracks

Our road is not the first on the list for the city to plow (I think it is number 32,000). That's what happens when you live one a "lane." I am not complaining, I think the city does a great job clearing roads for us. But, by the time the plow gets to my road it's usually been driven over so much that the fresh snow has been morphed into ice pavement.

As I was going to the office after the last installment of water flakes I found out what a rebel I am.  Cars that had gone ahead of me had formed the beginning of a path through the snow. It was a path that I didn't want to drive in. I wanted to make my own. 

One reason was the path that was being made was too close to the center which would made facing traffic from the other direction some what of a game of vehicular chicken (a game that is frowned on by the other driver and the police department).

The other reason is I just like making my own path and looking in the rearview mirror and seeing my tracks applauding me for being a manly adventurer. I imagine the next driver picking my tracks because they are much cooler than the other ones.

Isn't Christianity a refusal to drive in the other tracks? When Christ taught the crowds in Matthew and said, "you have heard it said..." "...but I tell you..." wasn't he asking people to not drive in a track that didn't fit with kingdom of God living?    

Do I drive in the culture's track with how I spend my money? Am I following a dangerous path with my attitude about (fill in the blank). 

Have I let someone else impact my journey by staying in the trail they have blazed?

Following Christ will mandate that I ride on a part of the street that is less traveled by the rest of the world.  

Jesus and I are blazing a new trail today.  I invite you to do the same. 

ddk

No comments: