Friday, February 21, 2014

A Bad Swap

Have we replaced repentance with regret? Maybe the pronoun needs to be changed - have I replaced...?

Regret is natural. It's that feeling that attaches itself to me with superglue tenacity. There are times I forget about it for moments but as soon as I remember that I forgot about it, it reminds me that it never left.

Regret is free. It doesn't cost me anything and I need no special skills to become an expert at it. As soon as an action has taken place inside a hidden pocket is the small pill of regret. It's a BOGO! (buy one get one) I buy the action with my will and receive at no additional cost the hidden bonus of "I wish I hadn't..."

Regret has no shelf life. Have you noticed that it doesn't seem to get weaker with the passing of days on the calendar? Only the action that caused it fades. The "benefit" from that action or word has long since evaporated, but the little pill of regret is still causing that sour taste in my spirit.

Regret is powerless. Here's the ironic thing about regret, it's strong enough to mess with my future, but not strong enough to change my past. It's too weak to change what caused it. It makes me wish I hadn't, but not strong enough to keep me for doing/saying/eating/thinking that again.

Regret can go through a metamorphosis. When it's wrapped in the cocoon of God's grace it transforms into repentance.

Repentance is supernatural. It's based on the unconditional, radical love of God that is expressed in the person of Jesus Christ. It is a divine explosion that removes walls between God and I.

Repentance is expensive. True repentance will cost me the freedom of ignoring and hiding from what violated God. It will cost me my pride as I humbly come before God (and maybe others) and am open and fully honest with him.

Repentance can wear out. If I'm not careful the remorse and commitment to not be a repeat offender can become paper thin and rip apart when faced with a new temptation.

Repentance is beyond Herculean in it's strength. It is strong enough to propel me into the arms of God and change my behavior instantly. It changes my direction. Repentance calls on the power of the blood of Christ, regret calls on the power of the past. Repentance is when I confess, receive grace, am filled with power, and pointed in a direction that is godly.

Have I replaced repentance with regret? It's a bad swap.

Swapping Back,

ddk

No comments: