Friday, February 28, 2014

A Balanced Diet

I'm reading a book by D. Brent Laytham titled, iPod, You Tube, Wii Play. Consider the following quote from it, "There is no such thing as a balanced diet of idolatry!"

I wonder, do you think too much of life is trying to call healthy what is toxic? How many times is the godly and the godless forced on to the same buffet so that I can build the perfect meal that would fulfill my desires and make me happy? Idolatry is excess in the most minuscule servings and yet we find ways to excuse (and even promote) it.

Idolatry has happened when something other than God sets my identity. I changed cars this week. It was a move to downsize - smaller car, better gas milage, lower insurance and payment... less cool stuff. I was surprised how much I enjoyed some of the options on the other car. I'd even be honest enough to say, I was surprise how much those options made feel better about myself. It wasn't a big deal, just a "balanced diet."

I still have a really nice car... just not as nice as the other one. But, I'm not less of a Christian because I don't have the other car... just less of a person. My eternity isn't impacted by having to pull a lever to adjust my seat rather than push a button... just my today. I'm not less happy because I don't have a sunroof... just less human.

While I reveal this human side of me I will share what I learned on a trip to a meeting this week in my new/used car. Jesus is more comfortable in a car that I don't use to define me.

Do you think that's true about everything? Ya, me too.


Feasting on Christ,

Dave

No comments: