Friday, December 6, 2013

Birth Story

Jesus and I sat this morning talking about our births. He asked me to tell him about my birth story. I asked, "why? My story is no where near as cool as the one you have."

He said, "I love hearing birth stories."

I grinned and said, "All right, but it's all second hand information, I don't really remember much about it."

I told him about Hannibal, Missouri, and my dad stopping traffic in front of the hospital to announce to strangers, "It's a boy!" We laughed about the copy of the bill from the hospital given to my parents for $184.45 for my birth.

"But, Jesus," I said, "This season is about your birth. It's about shepherds and angels, magi and mangers, a virgin and a construction worker… your birth story is amazing!"

I was surprised we were talking about my story while sitting in my newly decorated living room with lights, a tree, color, manger scenes, and stockings. The room screams his story!

Before I could start with my questions he asked one first, "Is your life limited to a hospital bill and an excited father?"

"No," I answered. "I don't think so."

"David don't lose my life in the story of my birth. Don't worship my birthday, worship me.  Don't idolize history, invite me into yours right now. Always remember my birth story is directly related to your birth stories."

He sat forward and smiled as he leaned toward me. The excitement was obvious on his face, "Now, tell me about the other one."

His excitement was met by my confusion, "The other one what?"

"David, I had a birth story so that you could have two. Tell me about the other birth story."

We spent the rest of our time talking about my new life because of his life, my spiritual birth because of his physical one. It was a great morning.

As we sat back to catch our breath from storytelling I said, "Hey Jesus... happy birthday."

He grinned and said, "to you too David, you too."

Talking with Jesus,

Pastor Dave

No comments: