Friday, November 22, 2013

Thank-filled

Is there a time when gratitude reveals our selfishness?

Things I am thankful for: electricity, a car that works, food I like, clothes, money, a nice tv, my iPhone, family, raspberry m&ms, friends, etc, etc, etc.

It's good to be thankful for "stuff" and some people.  It's just that I'm wondering why a spirit of gratitude has be to attached to "things."

The obvious problem with Thanksgiving being glued to stuff, and even people, is that both of them aren't sources of joy, they are causes.  Causes that don't have the power to provide gratitude.

Electricity can't give me gratitude, I'm just glad it's here (and really put out when it's not). My car doesn't have joy in it that it gives me, I give it value and am thankful when it works. Even family can't give me joy.

Please understand I am thankful for people and things and will celebrate that next week.  But, my relationship with God is both a reason for gratitude and a source.

By living as a follower of Christ my spirit is changed so that I am thankful in Him and He teaches me how to have a thankful heart and live a thank-filled life.

I'm thinking there's a difference between being thankful for something and being a thankful person.

Let's be thankful people.

Pastor Dave

 

No comments: