Friday, September 13, 2013

Thinking...

For my birthday I got a set of noise canceling head phones. It really is amazing to walk while I listen to the Bible and hardly even hear cars drive by. I learned a few big lessons quickly.

Lesson 1. Just because you can't hear it - doesn't mean it's not there. This is important to keep in mind when crossing intersections.

Lesson 2. I really don't have eyes on the back of my head.  Sharing a sidewalk with runners and bikers can be interesting when you have no idea they're coming up behind you.

Lesson 3. Internal noise is louder than external. Noise canceling headphones don't work on fear, worry, distraction, or confusion. If anything, those get even louder.

I learned lesson one by assuming a car saw me, but he had his "pedestrian canceling glasses" on. No big accident, I didn't get hit, but the heart rate of two people increased for a moment.

I learned lesson two by having a runner go by me. He had no idea that when he was instantly 24 inches away in my peripheral vision I would scream like a little girl on the inside and jump high enough to touch the roof of a six story building.

I learned lesson three by listening to the Bible and thinking about a book I'm reading. There is no correlation between the decibel level of external noise and internal noise. One doesn't cancel out the other.

I  am thinking about contacting Bose and seeing if there is an internal noise canceling upgrade available. My guess is… no.

I have to control the volume and content of stuff going in-between my ears and Bose can help me with the stuff outside of them. To ask questions about either of those I can contact either the manufacture of the headset or the Manufacture of the head.  One doesn't know me, the Other loves me.

Paul told the Philippians about noise canceling:
Philippians 4.8  Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Thinking about such things,

Pastor Dave

No comments: