Friday, October 12, 2012

Ministry Lessons (part 1)

I realized this morning that my vocation in ministry is about twenty-five years old (I started when I was twelveish).  I was just thinking of some random lessons.

1.  People are different
In a way young ministers are told that but then we're trained as if it's not true.  People have different stories and a range of starting places with faith.  There's not a one-size-fits-all ministry style or discipleship program.  The Bible is filled with people who are radically different.  That's either a mistake God made or part of the design.  Ministry makes more sense if I assume the latter is true.

2.  It's not mine
This is a hard lesson.  I know because I'm not done learning it.  It seems I spend a lot of time having the Spirit remind me that I'm a servant not a co-owner.  I can't take credit for the work of the Spirit and I can't receive blame for the activities of the enemy.  About all I have is a responsibility to be obedient.  It's His Kingdom, and His Church, and His invitation to me to participate.  It's pretty much all His.

3.  I'm not an island
I need relationships.  Because relationships are so important to all of us it's a good idea to be sure I can do them in a healthy way.  Too many ministry people are finding themselves emotionally and spiritually bankrupt because they don't do right boundaries in ministry relationships.  I can't honor Christ and hate people.  I can't serve Christ and ignore people.  I can't hear from Christ and misuse people.  On the other hand, I can't follow Christ and idolize people.  Relationships in a godly way… that's the deal.

4.  What matters needs to matter
Too often we've bought into the lie that we can determine what's most important.  People who are followers of Christ relinquish our right of priority setting.  That's been done for us.  Part of the challenge of ministry (life) is knowing what God's priorities are and keeping my energy on those.  I can feel my relationship with God getting stale when I confuse what matters to me with what matters to Him.  If my highest priority is having the right car I can count on the fact that God and I are focused on different things.

5.  Learning never stops
I didn't know much when I started in ministry and I'm finding that what I've learned doesn't give me permission to stop learning.  Maybe that's part of why I'm in a Doctoral program now.  There are a lot of different ways of learning, but I must make sure that the blade is always being sharpened.  I think one of the great things about observing and learning is that it fits with the design of God.  We were wired to learn.  It's important that I honor the Creator by doing what I was created to be able to do.

Pastor Dave


No comments: