Friday, October 5, 2012

I gotta tell you, I hate it when….

How would you finish that sentence?

Maybe a better question would be, how would God finish that sentence?  I have it on pretty good authority that God hates some stuff.

Consider the following:
Haughty eyes - is there pride or arrogance in how I look to others?
Luke 18.11 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.

Lying tongue - do I speak words that are a foreign language to God?
John 8.44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Hands that shed innocent blood - do I judge and punish unfairly?
Leviticus 19.15 Do not pervert justice; do not show partiality to the poor or favoritism to the great, but judge your neighbor fairly.

A heart that devises wicked schemes - does my heart plan to benefit me at the cost of others?
Matthew 5.8  Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

Feet that rush to evil - do I hurry to live and proclaim holiness?
Isaiah 52.7 How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!"

False witness who pours out lies - do I misrepresent the truth about another person?
Deuteronomy 5.20  You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

Person who stirs up conflict - do I weaken the call to unity?
John 17.23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

My good authority is Proverbs 6:16-19.  My challenge?  I should not have as a behavior what God hates.  'Cause that would be really stupid.

Taking Inventory,

Pastor Dave

 

No comments: