Friday, October 19, 2012

Listening

(Dear Friday Thoughters - Last week was Ministry Lessons part 1.  I know this should be part 2 but the Lord really put this on my heart.  I'll come back to finish Ministry Lessons next week.)

I really don't like it when we take the words of God out of context to make us feel better (He doesn't either).  But, this verse came up in my devotional time, "Your ears will hear a word behind you, "This is the away, walk in it," whenever you turn to the right or to the left." (Isaiah 30:21)

The words from Isaiah fit a specific promise of the Lord to a group of rebellious people who will go through judgment and be restored.  It's filled with a lot of history and theology.  It's a promise from a covenant God of grace that paints a wonderful picture of the result of repentance.  It involves nations, sin, idolatry and renewal.

I'm not into all that right now.  I just need a God who will talk to me.  I need a God that will walk close enough to me to see when my steps are leading to a cliff or quicksand.  I need someone who doesn't force me or push me.  I need a Guide.

I've talked with a friend who is hurting right now.  My heart is broken for him.  I believe that his God and mine wants to whisper to him through the hurricane.  I believe that God has a word for him.

Then, as well as thinking about my childhood friend, I thought of the huge weight that so many of us are living under, about the steps some of us are taking.

So, I write a simple call to all who may read these words, no matter what you're going through right now - listen for the Lord. Listen for the sound of One who loves you best.  Listen for the calm voice of grace.  Listen for the passionate scream of warning.  Listen for the voice who formed you and refuses to give up on you.  Listen through the bangs and cymbals, through the distractions and explosions.  Listen for the Voice.

It may be you've not listened before.  There are no qualifications.  Your ears do not need to be holy to hear from One who is.  Tune Him in.

It's possible it's been a while since you've listened because you don't like what you hear.  Think that through.

It could be that you haven't followed up on the last time He spoke to you.  Step to the plate.

There might be a name He wants to put on your heart.  There might be a love song He wants to sing to you.  There might be a step He longs for you to take (or not take).

By the way, if you listen and hear nothing... it may be He's just telling you what can separate you from His love.

Hearing,

Pastor Dave

 

No comments: