Friday, December 16, 2011

Sometimes maybe simple is better


According to the Global Language Monitor the English language has 1,013,913 words… or will have by 1.1.2012.  A new word is created every 98 minutes. That's so wowazing! (1,013,914)

Having more words hasn't lessened confusion or strengthened communication.  Has it?

Too many words can mess up an apology.  Have you ever had someone start an apology that seemed to ring true and then shot the heart of it full of so many holes with the word "but" that it was empty?

Too many words can mess up everything.  I know… I'm a preacher.  I have a Master's degree in making faith complicated.  I once went to a seminar where the speaker took 90 minutes to explain why sermons should be 20 minutes.

It's not easy to know when to stop making a point.  The need to be understood propels us into the world of unnecessary verbiage.  It's as if additional words will make the issue more important. (That was 34 words to say "we talk too much")

Sometimes maybe simple is better.

"I love you."

"I believe in you."

"I'm sorry."

"Thank you."

"I miss you."

Maybe even, "I'm disappointed."

So…

May God bless you with a week of growing anticipation as each day brings you closer to celebrating His Son's birth.

Or…

Merry Christmas,

Pastor Dave

 

No comments: