Friday, December 9, 2011

Close

When you think "you've got it" and someone tells you you're "close to getting it," how would that impact you?

In the 12th chapter of Mark a religious hot shot asked Jesus which of God's commands were the most important.  Jesus answered with the call to love God and love others.  The dialog continued as the hot shot agreed to the extent of saying that living those two commands were more important than offerings and sacrifices. (Mark 12:28-34)

Then Jesus said it.  We don't know how the religious guy responded.  It's kind of hard to confidently discern what the reaction was when Jesus told him - he wasn't far from the kingdom of  God!

Ever had someone tell you you're almost there where you're convinced you're already there?  Why didn't Jesus go into detail on what he needed to do to get there?  What was it that was remaining that kept him "close" rather than "there?"

I have a hunch it was heart.  This man knew what needed to be done to fully embrace the kingdom but, according to Jesus just a few verses later (38-40), he may have been caught in the pride of his "rightness."  His clothes made him.  How people greeted him with respect made him.  Where he sat in meetings and meals made him.  How proud he was of himself made him.

He knew what was most important and yet continued to value what was less important over what was most important.  He was close.

One day I asked Jesus what was most important about Christmas.  He told me it was worshipping him.  I agree with him.  I told him worshipping him was more important than all the trappings of this secular/religious celebration.  I told him I agreed with him as I hurried off to buy something, decorate something, meet someone, wrap something, eat something….

As I was leaving I think he said something about being "close to Christmas."  But that's silly, I know what Christmas is all about. "He's the reason for the season."

Sometimes I know what is most important, but my heart values what is less important over what is most important.

Close,

Pastor Dave

 

No comments: