Friday, July 15, 2011

A Reminder

2Peter 1.12-14

So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me.

 

Peter is reminding his readers to live in a Christ-like manner.  The first line of these verses really got me thinking.  What would I remind the church of?  What would I feel the urge to ask us to hold on to tightly with the grip of our souls?

 

If I felt the urgency of remaining time shrinking what would be priority words?  I can't pick a Bible verse because the Bible didn't tell me which one to pick.

 

The "great command?"  The "great "commission?"  The last words of Jesus?  The words when he was in the most turmoil?  The words that Matthew records as the sermon of Jesus?  What about when Jesus said, "Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken from her?"

 

Too many options and too much weakening of the Word to make it a slogan or a cliche.

 

So, I'm thinking what would I remind you of?  What would I remind me of?

 

On this day I would remind you to know Jesus and to live Jesus.  In a way that's what it's all about for me.

 

"So I will always remind you to know Jesus and live Jesus, even though you know that already and are learning to do that.  I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as God gives me breath."

 

Get rid of the excuses.  Know and live what you know about Jesus.

 

A reminder,

 

Pastor Dave

 

1 comment:

Diane's Blog said...

Hi David!
My name is Diane Kreh. My husband is Scott. We may come visit your church some Sunday when we get a chance. Scott has wanted to do this for several years. Do you remember him? We live quite far away but would love to visit soon.
Diane