Friday, August 28, 2009

It's almost a new season...

Dear Fellow Travelers,

Summer is almost done. School is about to start. Leaves are starting to look a lighter shade of green. The landscaping projects I was going to do this summer have been slated in my mind for next summer. Summer is almost over.

We started this summer with a call for this to be the "Best Summer Ever." The heart for that wasn't that you would get a raise, that your problems would evaporate, or even that vacations would go great. The issue is spiritual growth. The season we have come through was a focused call to grow closer to Christ. Let's do a quick review.

"I have heard the call and answered it. Whatever else this summer holds it will hold growth in the Lord! I commit to active steps that will deepen my walk with the Lord and prepare me for the fruit he longs to grow through my life."

1. "I am going to WORSHIP on purpose!" Did you? Or was worship limited to what you did on Sunday morning, and then only when you liked the song selection. Worship is an act of your will to proclaim who God is and how much you need him. Did you grow in that?

2. "I am going to focus on the WORD!" How much time did you spend in God's Word? It is impossible to grow closer to Christ and ignore the Bible at the same time. How's your focus?

3. "I am going to embrace a summer PRAYER burden!" Have you let God give you a heart for someone or something? Not just so that you feel fuzzy feelings, but so that you talk to God passionately about it. Do you have a prayer burden?

4. "I am going to ask God for the IMPOSSIBLE!" To many times we ask God for what we can do ourselves, and then give Him some credit or blame. What's the God thing in your life?

5. "I am going to swim in the deep end of the GENEROUS pool!" Generosity is when I give knowing it is in obedience and faith with the result of God's blessing on my spirit. How ya doing?

6. "I am going to risk a new RELATIONSHIP!" We have really enjoyed a time of growth as a church. There are many faces that you see on Sunday that you probably don't know. Have you invited anyone to your house? Have you asked anyone to get a cup of coffee and get to know them? Have you done anything to be relational and take a risk?

7. "I am going to start each day with a new GOD word!" This is such an easy habit to develop. "God, today I long to live in and be aware of your mercy." Everyday could have a handle of God woven through it. How'd you do?

8. "I am going to do a 7 day a week GROWTH plan!" Every day that breath is given to me is a day for growing in Him – not just Sunday. What's your daily plan to include Him?

9. "I am going to watch for OPEN doors!" "Lord, give me the eyes to see the work that you have done to give me the opportunity to obey." Have you been looking?

10. "I am going to 'sprinklerize' my GROWTH steps!" How'd you do at giving away the joy of the Lord this summer?

If we keep doing what we've been doing without growing in the Lord we dishonor Him. If you and I go from season to season without a plan to grow – we won't. If tools for growth remain in the shed unused my soul will weaken, and blame rests on my own hands.

It's almost a new season – how about a new commitment to thank God for the work He has done and the work He will do.

Living For A Reason,

Pastor Dave

No comments: