Friday, March 20, 2009

a "wow" verse

Do you ever read a verse from the bible and think "wow" as the words drift through your mind? 

Last night I read a verse as I was studying for Sunday.  It didn't really strike me last night, but this morning I read it again… and again… and aga….

2 Corinthians 1:12 Now this is our boast1

1. I have one thing that will last for eternity, my spiritual life.  That should be the area of my life I am most confident.

2 Corinthians 1:12 Now this is our boast1: Our conscience testifies2

2. Does my conscience stand and say to me about me?  Too many times I have duct taped the mouth of my conscience shut and then I convince myself that all is well.

2 Corinthians 1:12 Now this is our boast1: Our conscience testifies2 that we have conducted3

3. This issue here is the behavior.  What does a Holy Spirit filled conscience say about the way I behave within the relationships He has blessed me with?

2 Corinthians 1:12 Now this is our boast1: Our conscience testifies2 that we have conducted3 ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you4

4. "Especially" with the church.  How the members of the Body treat the members of the Body says a lot about maturity.

2 Corinthians 1:12 Now this is our boast1: Our conscience testifies2 that we have conducted3 ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you4, in the holiness and sincerity that are from God5.

5. He treated them in line with two attributes from God, holy and sincere.  If I were given two words to describe my behavior within my relationships could I use those two words?  If others were given two words to describe my behavior with them, what two words would they use?

2 Corinthians 1:12 Now this is our boast1: Our conscience testifies2 that we have conducted3 ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you4, in the holiness and sincerity that are from God5. We have done so not according to worldly wisdom but according to God's grace6.

6. Sometimes "worldly wisdom" and logic would give me permission to act in ways that God's grace would not approve of.  Imagine- people living holiness and sincerity that is empowered by and distributed with the grace of God!  Imagine- how I live and what I say having to go through God's grace for inspection before seeing the light of day!

Wow!  What was Paul's ability to "boast" is too often my source of shame. 

May all our relationships be covered in holiness and sincerity according to the grace of God.

 

Loving the sun, Loving the Son,

Pastor Dave

No comments: