Friday, April 25, 2014

Easter Is More...

The bad thing about Easter is that it's on the calendar. I don't want to criticize 2000 years of church history, but I wonder if we've made a mistake. Easter becomes a day in the year that I can look forward to and a day in the year that becomes a quickly fading memory. I wonder, are we are supposed to memorialize the resurrection or materialize the resurrection?Don't get me wrong, I love Easter Sunday! I'm just concerned that by having it be an annual day on the calendar I overlook the full impact that day has on my life. Somehow it's more than a day to remember - it's a day to live. It's a day that changes everything. The day of Easter represents transformational power that is available each day of the year. Maybe we lose the point when Easter is a church service that I dress up for and come home from. When Paul wrote his first letter to the Corinthian church in the 15th chapter he included a theology of Easter that we overlook. The resurrection of Christ is more than a day in history, it is a day in my future. I will do that too one day! Jesus and I have that in common!The empty tomb should be more than a day that I celebrated, it's a reality that I live. As a pastor, I love that there is a day that is the highest church attendance day of the year to applaud the power of Christ. I love that we know it's not about a chocolate bunny or a decorated egg. I just wonder if we really celebrate well the power of Christ when it's a day that I look forward to and back on and not a transforming truth that impacts my eternity... daily.Maybe I can learn how to have it be both.Thinking about Easter,Pastor Dave

No comments: