Friday, January 24, 2014

Edgy...or Honest?

Sometimes I'd like to be one of the edgy people that posts strong opinions that cause all kinds of debate, but I really don't have any desire to share my views on Duck Dynasty, Justin Bieber, health care, taxes, or bacon scented candles. I have them, it's just that I don't feel that letting people know what they are benefits anybody. People can't see Christ in my opinion on climate change (although many attempt to velcro him to their opinions to make their passion sound like a spiritual issue that Christ would agree with).

I'm sometimes disappointed with blogs and posts that I read of people who claim the name of Christ and speak the words of Don Rickles (if you don't know him - he's rude). Too often we are addicted to being right and discounting those who disagree. Salvation isn't based on your position on Gitmo.

What concerns me is the motive of "being right."  There is an inherent arrogance in assuming that I have insight that others are too ignorant to grasp, and a blatant disregard of the call of Christ when I devalue someone who disagrees with me.

Please understand that I have views on the topics noted above and many more.  I have a political bent. I care about what is happening in the culture. I just am weary of one more thing bleeding into church from the culture - attitude.

Maybe I'm being edgy in my own way, but it's time for us to quit insulting people who disagree with us. It's time to be done stirring up conflict that never results in advancing the kingdom of God. Perhaps we should worry less about when sinners sin and be more concerned when we do. Maybe it would do us well to refrain from trying to prove others wrong, pick up a towel and basin, and follow the example of the One we are named after.

And it you don't agree with that you're nothing but a.... 

ddk

No comments: