Friday, May 17, 2013

Learning

"When you love that which God loves, you act with him, you join yourself to him.  When you love what he dislikes, then you oppose him and separate yourself from him.  This is the true and right way: Think what God loves and love it with all your heart."

William Law, A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life, (1728)

One of my favorite classic books is "A Serious Call" by William Law. I found myself looking through it again as I prepare for this weekend.  This time reading these underlined sentences I noticed in a new way the words, "you act with him."

I wondered, why not "you act like him?"  Why use the participatory word, "with?"  Then I thought about the news I watched this afternoon.  The political stories are filled with accusations and excuses.  The courtroom stories are filled with accusations and excuses (are we ever going to stop seeing OJ in court?).  Everyone seems to be pointing a finger and those who aren't are attempting to discredit the pointers.    

I thought - we don't know how to act WITH God.  That assumes close observation.  It assumes proximity.  It assumes interaction.  The lack of acting with God is evidenced by the accusations and excuses, immorality and selfishness.

Here's what I'm thinking, acting with God is the direct result of loving what God loves. That is deeper than knowing what he loves, it's running in tandem with him.

Holy living means I value what God loves (yes, that applies to that person to).

Learning,

 Pastor Dave 

 

No comments: