Friday, November 16, 2012

Listening

"Lord, I've tried to listen for you this week.  Sometimes I remembered to remember and sometimes I forgot to remember.  My days are kind of like that.

I heard you through the voice of a broken person that didn't know what to do.  You pull a soul close to you through the storm but, it's hard to feel your hands when it seems like we're sinking.  We stood in faith that you were there.

I heard you in the soft whisper as I listened to your Word as I went for a walk.  You surgically extracted a few words and sowed them into a gap in my spirit.  I like when you anoint old words and find new ways apply them to me.

I heard you when I went for a drive and turned the music off so we could have a quite ride together.

I heard you when I had meetings to go to that were hard.  During them you reminded me of how blessed I am and how much I love the church I attend.  I drove back to my town thankful.

I heard you when I dangled my feet over the cliff called Overwhelmed.  You called me away from the cliff and gave me freedom and empowerment.  Freedom to not go beyond my filling and empowerment to use my filling up.

I heard you in the celebration of good news from a doctor.

I heard you when you provided enough at just the right time.

I heard you when I read.

And in between all those times I knew you were there even if I was to busy to include you on purpose.

Lord, I have a lot of friends who need to hear from you too.  Thanks for talking with them.  Thanks for drawing them a little closer this week so that they can hear you anew this weekend.  Thanks for not giving up on us when we're too distracted to hear you.  Thanks for being with the ones that can't hear you yet, and the ones who are too afraid to listen.  Thanks for your voice.

Listening,

Servant Dave    

No comments: