Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer 2012

This summer I plan to: 

1. Get to know my neighbors.
I have experienced the grace and generosity of God and am aware of the mandate to show both.  God has put each of us where we are for a reason.  If I believe that, I also have to believe my neighbors are where they are for a reason.  Neighboring relationships give the believer the chance to reflect God.

2. Do four weddings in five weeks.
My daughter is kicking off the summer wedding season.  This is a unique blessing that I have yet to fully grasp.  I have a hunch it will be like grasping a downed electric line in a rain storm.  It's one thing to, "give your daughter in marriage."  I think, "I now pronounce you husband and wife," will be like donating two kidneys at once.

3. Serve Midland.
This Fall is the 100th birthday of the Midland Free Methodist church.  We are going to celebrate through the summer by serving our community.  There are a lot of ways to celebrate a birthday.  Most of them have to do with looking back.  This birthday is going to be celebrated mostly through the call to "look out."  The best way to honor the God of the Church is to be His hands and feet to those around us.

4. Camp and Conference
July includes the annual camp and conference for the Eastern Michigan Free Methodist Church.  A few of us have been working with the Superintendent to organize and prepare for what God is going to do as a result of gathering to focus on Him.  The 13th through the 21st are going to be busy days.

5. Start a Doctoral program.
In August I start a Doctoral program.  This will begin 3 years of increased level of work and preparation that will challenge every aspect of my life.  I am excited about the practical lessons I will learn that will have direct and immediate impact on my ministry.

6.  Wonder where the summer went.
In a couple of weeks VBS starts and then it will be Fall.  It's all going to go so quickly.  I have determined to stay calm and not let busyness push me away from God.  It's amazing how often we complain about how busy we are as if it has nothing to do with our decisions.  Busy or casual God deserves His role in our lives.

7.  Get ready for the Fall
There are going to be a number of adjustments in our ministry this Fall.  The summer is a time to get some projects done and get ready for a new season.  For example:  We are only $5,000ish from being able to redo the floor in the entryway and hallway without a negative impact on our budget!  We'd love to have that done this summer.

So, that's my summer - how's yours looking?

Pastor Dave

 

No comments: