Friday, March 2, 2012

Engaged

I watched my daughter try on wedding dresses yesterday.  I handled it quite well.  They handed me a box of tissues once, but I didn't require any medical attention.  To be honest, I didn't do the flash back thing.  I didn't mourn.  I didn't wrestle with how much smaller the years seem in the rearview mirror.  I sat in awe and watched.  All that other stuff happened last night when I tried to sleep.

Thought 1.  I thought about the worst day of my life.  I remember dropping her off at college and driving home.  I can't spend a lot of time on that memory or I break out in hives.

Thought 2. I thought about how proud I am of her.  I've had that feeling a lot from my kids.

Thought 3. I thought about a lot of laughter.

Thought 4. I thought about some of the storms we've walked through together as individuals and as a family.

Thought 5. I thought about the years I've spent praying that the Lord would protect her for the one he has for her and that he would protect that person for her.  I thought about the thread of God's grace that ties a dedicated infant and a wedding together.

Thought 6.  I hugged my wife and thought about what an amazing mom she is.

Thought 7.  It took a while, but I got to the mirrors.  Watching her stand on a platform looking at the woman reflected in the mirrors.  Then, God showed up this morning and taught me.

I don't think we let God be the proud parent.  Sometimes we are so critical and angry about who we are and what we aren't that we can't receive the beaming love of the Father.  He doesn't look at the redeemed through their sin, he looks through the perfect sacrifice of his Son.  I have been clothed with righteousness in Christ.

I heard God ask me why I don't bask in love and pride as he looks on.  Numerous times Bre and I locked eyes yesterday and I smiled and gave a small nod.  She was amazing.  I think I need to be robed in the beauty of Christ and let God look on and be proud.

Church - be ready, stand in the mirror, wear Christ, smile big, and receive the Father's nod.

Revelation 19.7  Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory!  For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.

I know Bre is glowing, but so am I.

So is God.

Engaged,
Pastor Dave

No comments: