Friday, January 27, 2012

Excited

I got a couple new books this week.  I thought it would be a good idea to read from this author since he will be leading the Doctoral program I intend to start later in the year.  I just picked a couple titles from the long list he's written.  One was recommended to me and one that I… I just picked because I couldn't get the one I really wanted.

I write this on Thursday night (which is troublesome for the literalist and the "friday thought" thing) because I have a funeral to attend in the morning and it is my intent to spend most of my evening in that "other book."  It turns out that the one I "just picked" is the closest book I have see in years to communicating my heart for the church and pastoral ministry.  As I thumb through it, it makes my heart race!

It also turns out that it is on the very word that I have been preparing to preach on for over two weeks now.

I'll give you a hint to the key to your call and mine.  I'll tip my hand.  Brace yourself.  It's all about following Christ.

Yawn.

We are good at believing in; we love knowing about; we will even dabble in talking about Christ.  But following is rare.  At least Biblical following is.  Maybe it's time for us to be honest about it.  If we don't have the fruit of Christ it's safe to assume we are not following too close.

I think we've misunderstood what that means.  I think I'm going to spend some time getting into that topic.  It'll be a good book only to the degree that it draws me to the Word.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Excited,

Pastor Dave


No comments: