Friday, April 23, 2010

Welcome to Spring

There are a lot of things that the wonderful season we are going into involves.  

1. I'm thinking again about cleaning my garage.  For months I've tattooed the excuse, "it's too cold" on my tongue so it was ready to be used when the temptation would arise in my mind.  I have a small window before the, "it's too hot" tattoo comes out.  It's time to do it.

2. The yard projects have mocked me through the winter reminding me that soon I would not be able to hide them under a thin layer of snow.  The layer is gone.  They are not.  Their mocking is louder when it's not muffled by a few inches of snow.

3.  I love walking around the block when there is no ice.  This time is a mixture of exercise, dog walking, and talking with God.  I look forward to a new season of walks.  I love being able to walk.

4.  Trees aren't depressing anymore!  Through the winter the trees in my back yard allow the neighbor's house and ours to seem uncomfortably close.  When I look out my dining room window and ask the neighbor to "pass the salt" it's... weird.  Now that the trees have those green things on them again it gives us a little more privacy.

5. Car warming it over!  I don't have to start the car early to protect frostbite from setting in while I drive to the office.  Did you know most car heaters are programmed to start to work when you arrive at your destination and not before?  I like not having to remember to turn the car on early.

6. New life.  Spring reminds me of life.  It has responsibilities, and even its frustrations (pollen counts), but it screams life into our moments.  God, through His Spirit longs to bring a season of Spring and newness into your life.  The gunk of winter is over (old things pass away) and the hope of spring is here (all things become new again). [2Corinthians 5:17]

A Spring Prayer:


"Lord, thank you for bringing me through the season you have brought me through.  I trust you to lead me and bring a new work into my life.  Cause the pain and sin of yesterday to melt away.  Infuse me with a new warmth that will replace the stiffness that has attempted to render me ineffective.  Plant new seeds of your power that will grow into the pure fruit of knowing the center of your will.

This season is a season of joy because of your work and my surrender to that work.  I give you all of me.  I throw open the windows of my soul to let the breeze of the Holy Spirit force out what is stale and toxic that I have been breathing in.  May this season find me ready for all that you have in store and all that you permit me to face.  May the song that echos through the ages, because of the grace and gifts you have poured out, be heard from the voice of my soul and seen through the activity of my hands and feet.

Praying and Living in Jesus Name."

Welcome to Spring,

Pastor Dave 

No comments: