Friday, April 16, 2010

Repentance

I've been thinking a lot, reading on, and talking with the Lord, about repentance.  In the 3rd chapter of Matthew John the Baptist confronted the Pharisees and Sadducees who came out to observe what was going on.  He publicly called out their motives to told them to "Produce fruit in keeping with repentance (verse 8)."  

They weren't there to repent or be baptized, they were there to arm themselves with information so they could control the movement of God (my opinion).

So, I've been thinking, what is the "fruit" that gives evidence of a repentant heart?    

Intimacy
I think the result of repentance includes intimacy with God.  When God puts His finger on an area of my life that is standing in the way of knowing Him, and I confess and repent, allowing the work of Christ to cleanse me and the Spirit to empower me - there is intimacy.

I'm known by God, but I can know God too.  When both of those are in place I am experiencing the relationship I was designed to experience.

Joy
There is another fruit that is designed to be in the Christ-follower - Joy.  Repentance opens the flood gates of God's presence which will result in a change of my spirit.  The world may not change a lot, but my view of it will.  

I fear that Christ-followers so quickly sit on the "crabby couch" because they have not had a full taste of turning from what offends the God they serve.

Agreement
Another fruit of truly turning to God and turning from sin is that I agree with God on what is offensive.  For too long we have asked God to agree with us about what is offensive.  If I think it is sin, I assume God does too, and everyone else should also.

I repent because I agree with God about what is sin.  After I do that I need to continue to  align myself up with His heart and His plan.

Confidence
The result of repentance should always plant a growing seed of confidence in my spirit.  A seed that God will grow as He cleanses and matures me.  I should have a firm foundation that is not shaken by "stuff."  "Stuff" doesn't weaken my grasp on God, or His grasp on me.  What I face, I face as a child of God.

I think we need to stop running from and ignoring our doubts and weaknesses and face them through a season of repentance that will bear the fruit of humble confidence.

Learning as I Dig,

Pastor Dave 


No comments: