Friday, March 19, 2010

A Question for Jesus

David:
Jesus, I have a question.  It might not be the most spiritual question you've ever been asked, but I was just wondering something.  Sometimes I have questions because I don't think, but I've been thinking this one through.  

I know I've asked you some pretty goofy questions before, (like the one - what were you thinking when you created giraffes?) but I think this one is better.  It's not like the one about why do bad things happen to people who don't deserve it, or why don't you make it so child abusers arms fall off before they hurt a child.

Sometimes I can imagine what the answer might be.  By the way, thanks for my imagination.  It kind of bugs people sometimes, but I'm glad you gave me one.  But, I can't use my imagination and let what I know about you push this question away.

Is it ok?  Can I ask you a question again?

That's one of my favorite things about our relationship - you let me ask questions without making me feel like a dingbat.  You've never mocked me for what I don't understand.  

Sometimes I come up with real religious sounding answers to my questions.  You've said you're not fond of answers that pretend to be deep.  You've never liked it when I ram the Bible into a question so I don't have to think anymore or even really listen for your heart in the words.

Here it is - What were you thinking about two weeks before you died?  

We're two weeks away from Good Friday and I was thinking, were you too busy to think about what was coming?  Did you have to psych yourself up to go through with it?  Did you avoid thinking about it?  What was it like to know that you only had two weeks left?  Did you ever wonder if you heard your Father right?  Did you think about going to Egypt instead of Jerusalem?  When I know something bad is coming I do everything possible to avoid it.  Is that why you cried at the garden?  When you got to go back to heaven did you ask your Father why He didn't stop them from beating and killing you?

I guess that's a lot of questions.  You don't have to answer if you're too busy or it's too personal... but, what were you thinking about two weeks before the cross?

Jesus:
That's a good question David.  I'm glad you asked.  I would love people to ask that question so I could give them all this answer.

I was thinking about how much you would love getting rid of sin and how big your smile would be when you were free.  I was thinking about how willing I was to do anything to be able to spend eternity with you.  I was thinking about what a wonderful time you and I would be able to have when you let my Spirit fill you, and guide you, and teach you, and love you, and calm you, and heal you, and even correct you.  I was thinking you would be worth it.  And I was right, you are! 

David, I know this is hard for you to understand - the answer is you.

David:
Oh.

Jesus:
Can I ask you a question?

David:
Yes.

Jesus:
It's two weeks before Good Friday, what are you thinking about?


Thinking about Jesus,

Pastor Dave

No comments: